Friday 10 February 2012

perfect pikelets...

I love pikelets... pancakes are ok but I much prefer the smaller, bite-sized version! Before I first started baking I used to google pancake recipes and never really liked any of the ones that I tried; they were either too soggy or too sticky or they would burn before they cooked, so I gave up for a long time.
It wasnt until recently that I thought about it and decided that the key would be using a combination of flours and keep it simple! After months of making this recipe im yet to screw it up and it makes the perfect afternoon snack, lunchbox treat and it is so versatile! hence the name 'perfect pikelets'. You can add fruit or sugar or syrups to sweeten them or you can top them with ham/tuna/salmon and cream cheese or a delicious chutney! The options are endless.

This afternoon I made my favourite- blueberry pikelets and drowned them in maple syrup!



For the pikelets you'll need:
(makes 12 small pikelets)

1 egg
1/3 cup plain flour
1/3 cup of self raising flour
1/2 cup milk.
* I also added 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries.
 (you can get these from coles or woolies in the frozen section, a 1KG bag for $8.99!)

How to:
whisk together your ingredients and use a dessert/soup spoon to measure out each pancake into a pan on a loww, even heat. cook for about 40 seconds each side or until little bubbles form. they should be a light golden colour on both sides when cooked. I make them in batches of three so they are easy to flip.

serve with your desired toppings.

*these are great to make in big batches and freeze for school lunches. spread with butter and honey before freezing and by lunchtime they are defrosted and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment