Friday 10 February 2012

Huge garden chilli harvest = Chilli con carne!

My vegetable garden has been quite successful over the last 8 months or so, bringing in a pretty constant stream of herbs, silverbeet, rocket, cherry tomatoes and CHILLI! My chilli bush has been thriving in the last few weeks and I like to wait until I have six or more huge red ones to go with all the small ones before I bust out this recipe.
My favourite spicy, hot, comfort food is chilli con carne! I dont think I've ever met a recipe for this that I dont like! Served with spring onion, sour cream and corn chips and you cant go wrong!! I'm still working on my recipe... I dont think I will ever have a final version, so for now, here is my Chilli con carne recipe.

Chilli con carne




you'll need:

600grams beef mince or diced beef.
1 small brown onion
4 tbsp ground cumin
1tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp hot paprika
1 tbsp minced garlic
8-12 small green or red chillis (I used a combination of both)
2 spring onions sliced (1 to serve)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 jar of passata
fresh corriander
2 tins of bertolli beans (or any beans you like)
1 beef stock cube
1.5 litres of water
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

The how to:

1. Slice up the spring onions and put half in a big stock pot and put the other half to the side for garnish. slice the brown onion and all your chillies, add them to the pot with the olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic and let that fry off for a minute or two. try not to breathe the smoke in because it will BURN your eyes and throat.

2. After a few minutes of browing the onion and chillies you can throw in the mince (or meat) and the oregano, cummin and paprika and brown that really well. If it starts to stick to the pan feel free to add some more olive oil.

3. After the meat is browned add your tomato paste to the meat and chillies and fry that off for a couple of seconds before adding in the stock cube, 2 tins of beans (juice included) and the water. stir until well combined.

4. Throw in the fresh corriander (as much as you'd like) and the jar of passata. Boil and reduce this for 45-60 minutes, adding more water if you need it along the way.

5. Serve on rice, as tacos/tortilla wraps or with sour cream, shallots and corn chips!  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment